Thursday, January 29, 2009

Norms vs Beliefs

I still am confused about the differences between Norms and Beliefs. To get a better grasp on the difference I looked on wikipedia and the definition of Norm is the sociological term for the behavioural expectations and cues within a society or group. They have been defined as "the rules that a group uses for appropriate and inappropriate values, beliefs, attitudes and behaviors. This definition confused me more because it seems if I am correct that Norms help define Beliefs.

1 comment:

  1. Lets see - norms are rules that define how things "should be" and beliefs are statements about what "should be"

    So norms could be the things that tell us how to achieve beliefs.

    I find the values/beliefs distinction more troublesome...

    ReplyDelete