Monday, January 26, 2009

Fish Food Bank continued

The last time I have gone instead of spending the day working directly with the people I have been also participating in the back. In the back of the mini store there is a little warehouse where canned and dry food is stocked and there is also a big refrigerator where they keep milk, veggies, bread and birthday cakes. I put bread into boxes to weigh them and also made bags of frozen potato wedges. I also helped stocking the shelves and bringing the lunch from the church to the service site for the volunteers. The volunteers often use the food that is donated for lunch while there. I thought it was interesting how differently they treat the volunteers and the people who are there for community service. I have had a few volunteers not trust me until they found out that I went to PLU and was just a volunteer, rather then someone who is there for getting their community service done for something they did. One thing that I noticed when I was there was that even if their are two families living in the same home/apartment, they can only be counted as one. I thought that was odd, because two families should be counted as separate, but if the address is the same they count them together. I also don't like with how they distribute the food, someone who has one person in the family gets one loaf of bread, while someone with 13 also gets one loaf of bread. Someone with one person gets 1 can of food, while someone with 2 people also gets one can of food.

No comments:

Post a Comment